Police drop sexual assault investigation into MP Julian Knight

LONDON — British police have dropped their investigation into a senior member of parliament over an allegation of serious sexual assault.

Julian Knight was elected as a Conservative member of parliament in 2015, but he was stripped of the party whip in 2022 after being reported to the Metropolitan Police over the allegation.

The Essex Police force took over the investigation from the Met last year — but have now confirmed they are taking no further action.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “A man who had been voluntarily interviewed in connection with an investigation into allegations of serious sexual assault has been told he faces no further criminal action.

“The investigation related to alleged incidents outside of Essex which are non-recent.

“We carried out thorough enquiries and supported a number of people who came forward, including offering the support of an independent sexual violence advisor.”

The spokesman added: “A file was presented to the CPS [Crown Prosecution Service] relating to other, non-sexual, offenses. After receiving advice from the CPS, the senior investigating officer decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed.”

In a post on the social network X on Thursday, Knight, who continues to sit in the Commons as an independent, said he had been “told that the second Police Investigation into me has been closed without an arrest.”

He has previously denied what he described as a “false and malicious accusation.”

Knight announced last year that he will stand down at the next election, saying his name had been “tarnished.”